1) If I need help I will ask for it
Ask the syllabus first!
- Nearly all answers are there.
- Check it regularly, it may change.
Ask in class
|Excuse me? ||Once more please. ||Please speak slowly.|
|What does "dog" mean? ||How can I say "犬"? ||How do you spell "dog"?|
|I don't know. ||I don't understand. ||I can't find.... |
|Could you give an example? ||Could you explain that again? ||Teacher, the screen is off! |
Ask outside class, if you have bigger problem or a longer question:
2) I will come to class, and be on time.
|1m after bell ||= late ||(if I have to pick up your namecard)|
|> 15 mins after bell ||= absent ||(unless you have a train slip, etc)|
|2 x late ||= 1 x absent |
|> 6 absences ||= fail ||(unless you have a kouketsu, doctor's note, etc)|
In some classes, you can be absent up to 1/3 of the course
In THIS class, you will fail if you miss 7
3) I will do all the homework
90 minute class = 90 minutes of homework. No excuses!
|"I didn't know the homework" ||Ask a friend, check the syllabus, email me, or come in office hours!|
|"I left my homework at home" ||Use Dropbox|
|"The printer broke" ||Printers always break. Print at least 1hr before class!|
4) I know participation points are important. I will avoid NG points and get OK points for extra work.
You must earn OK points to get a high grade
- Mostly, this means doing extra homework. See your syllabus for details.
- You can't earn participation OK points for doing the minimum!
You must also avoid NG points:
- don't be absent
- don't forget homework or materials
- stay on task: no sleep, phones, or Japanese when you should studying
- See your syllabus for details
5) I will keep my work organised
- Buy a 40 pocket A4 clear folder OR make a Drive/Dropbox folder
- To do Drive/Dropbox only (no paper), you must:
- Be logged in and ready to go at the beginning of class so your partner does not have to wait
- Have a tablet or laptop (not tiny phone) so your partner can read easily
- Make sure it is easy for your partner to see ALL your vocab, for the end of term test/
- Whatever you choose
- Keep each type of homework together (especially your vocab sheets)
- Don't waste your partner's time looking through a messy folder!
6) I won't use translation software, ignore written feedback, or plagiarise
- Google translate is useful, but can't write sentences.
- USE comments from partner, Writing Centre, or teacher. Wasting our time = automatic D/E!
- Don't copy-paste: recognise and avoid plagiarism Automatic D/E!
7) I have seen my online schedule and syllabus. I will check it before class.
Schedules are here: Index - Schedules