Ask your Partner
1. Where do you keep your files (e.g. QW2.docx): PC only? USB drive? Drive / Dropbox?
2. If your PC / USB drive / phone broke, would you lose anything important?
3. How often do you back up your PC or your phone?
Use a cloud service for your schoolwork!
- It backs up automatically every minute or so
- If you delete somehing accidentally, just look in "revision history"
- You can't forget it at home like a USB stick
- You can show me HW your phone (= no NG point).
- You will use it for work, probably.
In comparison, USB drives are not good:
- They are easily washed/lost/broken
- If you forget your homework, there's nothing you can do.
- If the PC room printer is broken, you can't just show me your USB.
- Even if you backup regularly, you will lose work
- It's easy to forget to back up
Works well, integrates with Office Apps. It's what I use.
Google Drive: (link)
Works well, and has alternatives to Powerpoint/Word/Excel. However, Gmail accounts and soka-u.jp accounts do not talk to each other - you might have some sharing problems. This is why I use Dropbox.
Works OK, integrates well with mobile Office. If you have an Office 365 account, you might have lots of space.
Others - Not so useful
- Box doesn't have automatic backup
- Amazon doesn't have a Desktop app, just an uploader
- iCloud is only for Mac.
- Can you think of any others?
Setting up (Dropbox example)
Most of my materials are on this website, but I use cloud sharing for big files
I use Dropbox for the reasons above.
- I will invite you to join Dropbox. Join using your UNIVERSITY email address (.ac.jp or -u.jp).
- If you already have an account, let me know your email address for that account.
- If you don't get an invitation, use this (link)
- Download the app onto your PC/laptop: (link)
- Get the app for mobile or tablet: (link)
- Keep everything in the Dropbox folder
- Keep everything - don't over-write QW3 with QW2
Don't forget to backup your paper too!
- Use your phone camera.
- Photograph your namecard. Otherwise, if you lose it, your participation score is ZERO!
- Photograph your CCC/EF/WC sheet. Otherwise, if you lose them, start again!
While we are talking about the internet, it's a good idea to make sure you are safe online.
- Do you have antivirus? Is it updated?
- Is your PC and phone encrypted?
- Is your OS and software updated to the most recent version?
- Are all your passwords different (LINE, Gmail, Facebook, etc)?
- Do you have "two factor authentication"enabled on Gmail/Facebook/Dropbox/etc? (link) (link)
Don't forget security off the internet, too
- Do you shred your bills before throwing them away?
- Are you ready for an earthquake?
- Do you have a personal alarm (防犯ブザー)?
- Do you know how to cancel your bank card if it is stolen?