What is a detail?
A detail is usually one of these:
- an example
- a fact
- a quotation
- A response (a doubt)
- a clarification
- a reason
- an answer to a basic question (who what where why when which how)
Style for detail sentences
Arrangement: plan to write an example/reason/response
Style: Clearly signal which kind of detail it is
- e.g. an example should be marked "For instance"
- e.g. an effect should be marked "As such"
- e.g. a cause should be marked "One reason for this is"
- for more, see use cohesion
Specifically, for 1st year essay description paragraphs
- Detail sentence 1 - can be anything - any interesting fact
- Detail sentence 2 - please give a number indicating the size of the problem
- e.g. for ethical consupmtion
- how many tonnes of conflict mineral are produced
- how much pesticide is used
- e.g. for endangered animals
- when will the animals become extinct
- how many animals are left
Specifically, for 1st year essay problems pargraphs
- Detail sentence 1 - summarise the problem
- Detail sentence 2 - More info on problem (For example/In addition/etc)
Specifically, for 1st year essay solutions paragraphs
- Detail sentence 1 - summarise the solution
- Detail sentence 2 - response (However/In fact)